Experienced technologist and polyglot software engineer currently working at the BBC.
I specialise in leading and mentoring teams that craft high quality software which meets user needs through a variety of extreme programming and agile techniques.
I strongly believe in building autonomous teams around agile principles, thin slicing, incremental and continuous delivery, clean & test driven code, refactoring, automation, simplicity, and pragmatism.
I have a wide range of public and private industry experience in travel, leisure, broadcast media, government, eCommerce, retail, co-operative and digital agencies.
I specialise in:
- Designing and implementing strategies for application development, continuous integration, automated testing and cloud deployment
- Architecting and building accessible and responsive digital experiences driven by analytics and data
- Designing and developing scalable application architectures with agility built in
- Building cultures of collaboration, autonomy and ownership within engineering teams to ship quality software faster
- Legacy service transformation and decommissioning into modern digital solutions
- New business and product development from MVP to maintainable software and enterprise architectures
- Business transformation (re-branding, re-launching & process improvement)
Other skills and interests include agile, emerging software development techniques, client side frameworks, server side frameworks, relational/non-relational database systems, continuous integration/delivery, testing, version control & devops.
Get in touch
- BBC - Senior Technical Architect (September 2018 - Present)
- BBC - Software Engineering Team Lead (October 2017 - September 2018)
- Co-op Digital - Technical Lead (October 2016 - October 2017)
- Rentalcars.com - Senior Software Engineer (April 2016 - October 2016)
- BBC - Senior Web Developer (December 2015 - April 2016), Web Developer (November 2014 - December 2015)
- Department for Work and Pensions - Technical Architect (April 2014 - November 2014)
- Sofology (prev. Sofaworks & CSL Sofas) - Software Developer (December 2012 - April 2014)
- Parker Sandford - Web Developer (January 2012 - December 2012)
- ATTAIN - Multi-Channel Communications - Software Developer (January 2012 - December 2012)
I have contributed to several large open source projects, including; PHP, Firefox, Rust, rust-fmt, MediaWiki, Vagrant, Grunt, Google Heapster, Penthouse, tldr-pages, troposphere and Iron.